Long time no see. I know. It’s been a while since the last post and quite some time I’ve been creative in the kitchen. I have a couple of new ideas in mind so let’s see how it goes in the upcoming weeks 🙂
Have you ever tried using millet in your meals? It used to be something I avoided in the past for no real reason. Once I tried it, I fell in love and since then I have been adding it to soups, used it in porridge, or cooked as a side.
This coconut millet porridge is a nice breakfast or dessert idea. What I really like about it is that you can make it in the evening and have it ready for the next morning. It is very filling and delicious both hot and cold. I paired this one with simple mango and chia ‘jam’. Just combine mango and a little lemon juice and blend in a food processor. Then add chia seeds and let sit for a couple of minutes so that they expand. Yum!
(makes 1 breakfast bowl or 2 smaller desserts)
- 50 g millet grain (not flakes)
- 200 ml coconut milk
- optional: a little honey/maple syrup/dates/fruit to sweeten
- It is a good idea to drain millet with boiling water first. I found this shortens the cooking time which is always a plus.
- After draining, I place millet together with coconut milk in a smaller pan and bring to boil. Let simmer (stirring now and then) until all the liquid is absorbed and you have a nice creamy porridge.
- Add a sweetener of your choice, if using. I sometimes also mix in some frozen berries while the porridge is still hot.
- Serve with fruit, nuts, coconut flakes, seeds, etc. It is delicious both hot and cold.