Similarly to my butternut squash soup or spinach & fennel soup, this creamy broccoli soup is ready to eat in a couple of minutes. So if you are up to something delicious, quick but still nutritious, make this soup. Broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables. I prepare it in a number of different ways – roasted, boiled, baked in gratin, or use it in soups such as this chunky vegetable soup or combined with other ingredients in creamy soups like the one below.
All you need is broccoli and some onion, plus seasonings of your choice. I mostly simply use salt and pepper, sometimes also herbs, dried or fresh. You can also add hints of other veggies, such as carrot, spinach, fennel, cabbage, potato,…etc. The options are endless. I especially like the combination of broccoli and carrot because carrot makes the soup a little sweet. Serve with croutons, grissini or simply with fresh bread.
(makes about 2 l of soup)
- about 500 g broccoli, divide into florets and also use the chopped stalk
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 1 carrot (optional), chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook chopped broccoli stem, onion, and carrot in 0,5 l water or vegetable stock for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets and simmer just long enough for the broccoli to get tender. Season with salt and pepper, add some herbs if you want.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Add more fresh herbs after taking the pot off the heat.
- Serve with grissini, croutons or fresh bread.