It may not sound appealing at first, but this is the perfect combination of rice and vegetables. This meal has natural sweetness thanks to carrots, cabbage, and raisins, yet it still tastes exotic when you add tamari and tahini. I was sooo sceptical when first trying this combination and sooo happy I did make it in the end! Easy, interesting, and healthy is this recipe, just try it yourself!
- 1 white cabbage
- 4-5 medium carrots
- 1 onion
- about 1,5 cups of rice (long grain brown or wild rice)
- handful of raisins
- 4 tbsp tamari or more
- olive oil
- 3 tbsp tahini or more
- black pepper
- 1 lemon
- sesame seeds
- Cook the rice according to the package instructions. While the rice is cooking, wash and finely chop cabbage, carrots, and onion.
- Place the onion in a saucepan with a bit of oil and cook until soft. Choose a pan that is big enough to incorporate cabbage, carrots, and later also rice.
- Add chopped carrots and cabbage and cook until nice and soft, approximately 15-20 minutes, adding salt, black pepper, and cumin halfway.
- Once the rice is cooked, mix it into the saucepan with carrots and cabbage, add raisins as well as tamari and tahini and stir well. Cook for another 5 minutes just for the flavours to combine well together and add some more tahini or tamari if you feel like it. Mix in fresh juice of one lemon in the end.
- Serve sprinkled with some sesame seeds or fresh herbs over the top.