Since I love food that can be made several hours or even a day before I serve it, I have to share this delicious salad with you! I appreciate it especially when i need to be flexible with all the food preparation and do not have enough time to make everything fresh and serve hot. So, have this ready a day before your party and it will taste even better as it requires some chilling in the fridge.
- 1 kg new potatoes, cooked whole and when cold just cut them in quarters or so
- 1 broccoli, cca 350 g, divided into florets of similar size, cooked and chilled
- 2 handfuls of frozen/fresh/canned peas (I used frozen and cooked it)
- 2 handfuls of frozen/fresh/canned corn (same as for peas)
- 1 smaller onion or alternatively several young green onions, chopped
- 5 gherkins, chopped
- juice of 1-2 lemons or alternatively vinegar or juice from the gherkin jar
- 3 tbsp mild mustard or use any mustard you like
- 1 tsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- handful of fresh or dried herbs like coriander, parsley, basil, mint, etc.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix cooked, cut and chilled potatoes, broccoli florets, peas, corn, onions, and gherkins in a large bowl. (I always cook potatoes, broccoli, peas, and corn in one pot using the same water so that I do not have so much washing up and everything is cooked faster. Just be careful with the timing as you do not want to overcook anything. Cook potatoes first, then broccoli, and peas and corn really need just a few minutes.)
- In another smaller bowl mix the lemon juice (or the alternative), mustard, olive oil, herbs, salt and pepper. Give it a whisk so that you get a nice dressing.
- Stir the dressing into vegetable mixture and mix very well. All the potatoes and broccoli should be covered by the dressing. Taste and season to taste if needed. Let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours before serving.