Best pancakes ever! These sourdough chia pancakes make the most delicious breakfast and you do not even need to add sugar when using fruit, marmalade or chocolate as a topping. The batter contains a half of mashed banana that creates natural mild sweetness. If you want the pancakes to be sweeter, add a little coconut sugar.
I top them with banana slices, melted chocolate, cacao nibs, buckwheat groats, and a sprinkle of chia seeds. Cacao nibs and buckwheat groats add amazing crunchiness and a lot of goodness, banana slices make the whole thing sweeter, and a good quality melted chocolate completes everything to create an absolute indulgence that brightens up your morning in a second.
I always take out my sourdough starter from the fridge and feed it a night before I want to use it. Then, the next morning, make the batter, and set aside for about 30-60 minutes (keep at a room temperature). You will see little bubbles forming on the surface of the batter.
(for 2 people, makes 8 pancakes)
- 100 g wholegrain flour
- 60 g sourdough starter
- 150 g ideally spring water
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- 20 g rolled oats
- 20 g chia seeds
- fresh fruit, chocolate, cacao nibs, buckwheat groats, more chia seeds for topping
- Whisk everything together, cover with foil and set aside for about 30-60 minutes. Keep at room temperature.
- Cook the pancakes, turning halfway through.
- Serve warm with fresh fruit, seeds, nuts, chocolate or anything else you like.